What is copper?

What is copper?

Copper is a soft, malleable and ductile metal with very high thermal and electrical conductivity.

In Jewellery, it is often used for its apparent healing benefits, to relieve aches and pains in joints.

In 925 (92.5%) sterling silver, copper makes up the other 7.5% of the alloy.

Copper is one of the few metals that occur in a directly usable form, which led to early human use from around 9000 BC.

In 5000 BC it became the first metal to be smelted. In 4000 BC, the first metal to be cast into a shape and a few centuries later, the first metal to be alloyed with another metal; tin, to make bronze.

Although copper has been in use for over 10,000 years, 95% of all the copper mined has been mined since 1900.

The oldest known piece of copper Jewellery is a pendant found in Iraq, that has been dated to 8700 BC.

In nature, it is copper salts that cause the blue or green tones in Azurite, Malachite and Turquoise.

See our Copper collection