How to use a French press
Here's how to use a French press coffee maker....
- Grind your coffee medium coarse.
- Pour some boiling water into the French press and leave for a few moments to pre-heat the press.
- Tip the water out.
- Put in your ground coffee and just enough hot water to cover it.
- Give it a stir and let it sit for 30 seconds. (Covered to retain the heat).
- Add the rest of the hot water, up to the bottom of the steel band.
- Let it sit for 3½ minutes.
- Push the plunger down.
- You can now serve the coffee directly from the press, if it is all going to be used in one go. If not, pour the rest into a decanter to prevent it continuing to stew.
Note. If the plunger goes down without any resistance, you have ground the coffee too coarse. If there is a lot of resistance, it is ground too fine.